Skip to main content

Zazen in Action - Proper Action

Zen and Proper Action

In order for me to know what action is correct, I must first weigh out the negative and positive consequences of my available choices at any given moment.

Once I make a decision on what to do, I must have the right intentions.

All actions I perform, or do not perform, should be accounted for in every moment in which I am. That is to say, I must be confident in the actions I choose to engage, knowing I have the right intentions as well as sufficient information to be able to make the right decision.

I'd like to stop eating animals and the pesticides we find in almost all of our food sources; both of those seem weird to me. Unfortunately, our choices and alternatives are scarce. We should all strive to be conscious of what ingredients go into our meals.

We can always plant more fruit trees without worrying that there are too many. There is always room for more trees and plants in our ecosystem. Planting any form of greenery outdoors is a great step for any of us towards a healthier future.

I always try to help or offer to help strangers whenever I can. Sometimes, it's best to keep to myself and reserve my volunteer efforts where they are welcome or appreciated. It's important for us to get along and help each other.

Smile! I don't smile enough. It feels great to smile. A genuine smile can change the world in a thousand different ways.

I practice the inner smile. It's an exercise we can practice any time we have a few moments. Mantak Chia is a great teacher of the Tao and has many books you can read on Taoism, the inner smile, and self healing exercises.